“It doesn’t matter where you are, you are nowhere compared to where you can go.”
— Bob Proctor

In each province the provincial government is responsible for the management of public education. You will be able to get information about each department from the websites listed below. The websites also list the post-secondary education facilities (community colleges and universities) in each province. Colleges have different names. They might be called any one of the following: colleges of applied arts and technology, institutes of applied arts and sciences, community colleges, technical/vocational and university-oriented colleges, institutes of technology or technical institutes and in Quebec, they are known as collèges d’enseignement général et professionnel, or CEGEPs.

Although education is paid for by taxes, parents should expect to pay for certain activities such as field trips and cheap musical instruments for music education. There are also private schools in Canada, which charge high school fees.

Education is conducted in English or French. Children with language difficulties get extra language training for free.

When immigrants enrol their children they would expect to bring their Immigrant Visa or Permanent Residence Card, the birth certificate of the child, the vaccination certificate and any previous school records to the school.