New quarantine requirements for temporary foreign workers

Mar 25, 2021 | Current News

The Government of Canada announced that after March 21 they will be moving forward with a two-pronged approach to quarantine requirements for Temporary foreign workers (TFWs) based on their final destination.

Asymptomatic TFWs will be able to travel directly to their place of quarantine after getting a COVID-19 test at the airport provided they travel by private transportation and are accompanied only by others who travelled with them to Canada.

TFWs who will need to travel by public means to a secondary location upon arrival in Canada will be required to stay in a Government Authorized Accommodation (GAA) and await the results of their COVID-19 test.

TFWs with visas in agriculture, agri-food, fish and seafood sectors will continue to be exempted from a 3-nights stay in a Government Authorized Accommodation (GAA) while they await the results of their COVID-19 test results, if they are asymptomatic and are not travelling throughout Canada via public means of transportation.

The reason for this is because these sectors were identified to have a direct impact on ensuring Canada’s food supply chain and food security.

This includes the following occupations:

Primary agriculture:

  • 0821 – Managers in agriculture
  • 0822 – Managers in horticulture
  • 8252 – Agricultural service contractors, farm supervisors and specialized livestock workers
  • 8255 – Contractors and supervisors, landscaping, grounds maintenance and horticulture services
  • 8431 – General farm workers
  • 8432 – Nursery and greenhouse workers
  • 8611 – Harvesting labourers

Other agri-food occupations:

  • 6331 – Butchers, meat cutters and fishmongers – retail And wholesale
  • 9461 – Process control and machine operators, food, beverage and associated products processing
  • 9462 – Industrial butchers and meat cutters, poultry preparers and related workers
  • 9463 – Fish and seafood plant workers
  • 9617 – Labourers in food, beverage and associated products processing
  • 9618 – Labourers In fish and seafood processing.

Upon entry to Canada, TFWs need to have the following documentation/information with them:

    1. Port of entry letter of introduction issued by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada that shows the worker was approved for a work permit. This document shows that the worker is allowed to travel to Canada during the travel restrictions.
    2. A valid passport (and visa if applicable)
    3. A receipt from ArriveCAN confirming information was submitted (screenshot, email or printout)
    4. Address of quarantine location (housing)
    5. Telephone number and email address so that Canadian officials can contact the worker
    6. Employer’s contact information

Source: Government of Canada